I received caramels from Werthers and Mom Select to use at my baking party. All opinions are my own.
The temperature has been dropping and I was ready for some fall baking. I didn’t want to eat all of my baked goods myself, thanks to some recent weight gain, so I thought I needed to share. I put on my thinking cap and came up with a great idea, A Fall Baking Party. It combines my favorite fall activities; baking, visiting with friends and eating yummy fall recipes. Werther’s had sent me several bags of baking caramels and my daughter had brought home apples from a festival she attended. The combination of fall+apples+ caramel was irresistible. I didn’t want to make the typical caramel apples so I looked around for a bit and found a Caramel Apple Cake Recipe I could adapt. The result was delicious. This one does take some work, but the end results are worth it.
- For the Cake:
- 1-1/2 cups canola oil
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3-1/2 cups diced peeled apples
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 24 caramels, unwrapped
- ½ cup heavy cream
- Additional ingredients needed For the Frosting:
- 1 cup confectioners sugar
- In a large bowl, combine the oil, sugars and eggs until well blended. Combine the flour, cinnamon, baking soda, salt and nutmeg; gradually add to creamed mixture until blended. Fold in the apples, walnuts and vanilla. Meanwhile melt caramels in heavy cream on low in saucepan.
- Pour half the mixture into a greased and floured 10-in. bundt pan. Top with ½ of the caramel mixture, cover with remaining half of batter. Bake at 325° for 1-1/2 hours or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
- For the Frosting:
- Mix powdered sugar with remaining caramel and cream mixture until smooth. Drizzle over cake.
I shared my cake with friends and family at my baking party and noticed they returned their empty plates and asked for more. I see anything caramel apple cake in my our future, along with the caramel apples my son has decided we need. What is your favorite fall treat with caramels or apples?